Below are 19 health benefits of ginger, nutritional values, side effects of ginger, a ginger detox tea recipe and finally some fun facts about ginger you never knew about!
Ginger is commonly used as a spice in various cuisines throughout the world, it is the rhizome/ bulb of the plant Zingiber officinale in the family of Zingiberaceae. Ginger originated from China then later Spread to India and Southeast Asia.
- Name– Zingiber Officinale
- Origin– Indian subcontinent southern Asia
- Method– gathered, washed & scraped/ dried & ground for powdered ginger
- Plant– flowering plant Zingiberaceae
Nutritional values of 100 g of root & 1 tsp powder
- Calories- 80
- Sodium- 13 mg
- Potassium – 415 mg
- Total carbs – 18 g
- Dietary fiber – 2 g
- Protein – 1.8 g
- Vitamin c – 8%
- Vitamin B-6 10%
- Magnesium – 10%
- Iron – 3%
Health benefits of Ginger
Ginger has been known throughout history for its various healing benefits such as:
- Loss of appetite
- Motion sickness
- Pain management
- Helps relieve a headache
- Muscle and joint pain
Multiple research shows that ginger may help reduce the risk of:
- Heart disease
Help treat conditions such as:
- Lower blood sugar
- Lower Cholesterol levels
- Reduce swelling
- Prevent blood clots
- Decreases the risk of colon cancer
Side effects of Ginger
Ginger is naturally safe if consumed according to the daily recommended intake amount which is a maximum of 4 g per day. If exceeded symptoms may include the following;
- Upset stomach
- Mouth irritation
- Increased bleeding
Ginger is not recommended for pregnant women and could interact with certain medications such as;
- Blood Thinners
- Diabetic medications
- High blood pressure medications
Ginger tea for weight loss
- 1 cup 8 fl oz boiled water
- 1/ 2 ground ginger
- 2 slices of lemon
- 1 tsp raw honey
Mix all the ingredients above and let sit for 10 minutes. Best to drink before breakfast. This recipe increases the metabolic rate which results in and aids in the weight loss process.
Facts about ginger
- The ginger plant is approximately 30-60 cm tall and is extremely rare to find in the wild.
- Ginger is used to aromatizing the liquid in electronic cigarettes.
- Ginger is a great yang tonic that boosts energy, increases body temperature and vitality.
- Ground powdered ginger has the highest nutritional value than raw ginger.
So there you go, 19 important health benefits of ginger that rocks, why not start adding some to your diet by making a ginger detox tea and drink 3 times daily for a healthy body!